Remember Sam — the cute Koala rescued from Australian bushfires back in February? She became an Internet star after videos of a kind firefighter pouring bottled water into her parched lips and the badly burnt "bear" was later brought to a wildlife rescue center.
It turned out she had urogenital chlamydiosis (aka, chlamydia), a disease that plagues up to 50 percent of the country's Koala population. During a surgery to treat the resulting abdominal cysts, doctors discovered her disease to be too advanced and inoperable, so they put Sam to sleep. Remember her fondly with the original footage when you read more