If you're throwing (or attending) a New Year's Eve bash with a furry friend, beware of the dangers of those festive decorations! Even if you wanna take a photo of your pet perhaps wearing a party hat like this fella, take it off immediately afterwards. Not only is it dangerous if he decides to munch on the paper, but the elastic string can choke your pal or lodge in his throat if he decides to eat his entire costume. Please also beware of the following things:
- Noisemakers. I don't know about your pet, but North ran away the first (and only) time anyone blew one of these noisemaking horns in my home. I don't know if it was the loud sound, or the popping out, but my pup looked at me like I was crazy and ran into the next room. Never again.
- Confetti. Just like tree tinsel is dangerous, metallic confetti and other lil bits of paper can still cluster in a pet's throat or tummy. Be on the safe side, and keep this unsafe stuff out of the house!
- Hanging Decorations. Streamers and balloons can get stuck in a furry friend's intestinal tract so keep them up high and don't leave an animal unsupervised in a room with these things.
- Alcohol. I hope I don't really need to remind you of this, but alcohol is not for pets. While I'm sure no responsible animal owner would offer this substance to a pet, parties can result in spills or left out cups that pets may try to lick. Make sure this liquid (and any poisonous foods like chocolate) is faaar out of the reach of your pet's nose and tongue.
Get the rest of my list when you read more.