Next up in our ten tips, it's time to deck the halls with boughs of holly (and other seasonal plants)! Check out my
- Holly. Both holly leaves and berries are poisonous to pets. If you are decking your halls (literally), use fake holly if you must. Even if it starts out hanging high, as any pet owner knows, it could easy end up on the ground the next moment. Signs of holly ingestion include intense vomiting, diarrhea, and depression.
- Mistletoe. This is another dangerous plant that's even hallucinogenic (if eaten) to humans as well. Kissing under it is fine, but if you hang it up in a household with pets, you could run the risk of causing gastrointestinal disorders, cardiovascular collapse, erratic behavior, and other problems if pets get a hold of the berries — so hang it high and secure only.
- Ivy. Most types of ivy foliage used to drape or wrap on banisters, mantels, or other internal structures will be toxic if nibbled off — it can cause gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, hyperactivity, and difficulty breathing.
- Wreaths. Needles from wreaths (even trees for that matter) can be sharp prickles in your pet's mouth so be certain to vacuum and sweep any dropped items. Also, be mindful of any special decorations or possibly poisonous berries added to the wreath that can just as easily fall off.