When we think about stereotypically "mean dogs," I'm pretty sure we can all name those most maligned. But statistically, the world's meanest breed  isn't a Pit Bull, Bulldog, or even a Doberman — it's an English Cocker Spaniel!
A recent study by the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Barcelona shows more reported cases of aggression by the English Cocker Spaniel  than any other breed, followed by Rottweilers, Boxers, Yorkshire Terriers, and German Shepherds. Yes, the Yorkie is tiny, but can apparently pack quite a punch! With over 1,040 acts of aggression studied, the report shows that the Cocker Spaniel is more likely than other breeds to show aggression towards their owners and unfamiliar people.
But not all is lost for the breed. With proper training and discipline, the Cocker Spaniel (and any other breed for that matter) can be well behaved and friendly to other dogs and people. I'm a firm believer that there are no "bad breeds," so here's to hoping that owners can take the time to train their pups to be civil four-legged members of society! Check out some of my favorite training tips and tricks when you .
- Training classes aren't just for puppies — you can always enroll your pup in an obedience class , no matter how old they are!
- Have your pup's next playtime include strangers  to get used to unfamiliar faces, er, scents!
- Pick up a training book for 24/7 advice. Here are some of your favorites !
- Know the difference between training methods , then pick the one that is right for you and your pet.
- Help your pooch learn proper dog park etiquette  as early as possible.
- Take an online class led by Cesar Milan , and learn at your (and your dog's) own pace.
- Use the hand touch  to get your pup under control.