Q: My cat won't come to dinner! When it's time to feed her, she pays no attention – I know sometimes cats eat throughout the day but I swear when I get home, the same amount is still in the bowl. I've even tried different foods and meal times. The weird part is, when I bring it to her, she'll eat most of it right front of me. I know this is a bad habit, but I can't think of what else to do? Help!
A: Try teaching this one at mealtime, or anytime you want your cat to come. If she's especially attentive when you return home, start by saying your cat's name followed by the command "come" even if she is already on her way over to you. Pet her, then take a couple steps back and repeat, giving her a few pieces of her food as you do this. Continue moving until you get near the bowl. When she gets to the bowl, praise her lavishly and fill it up. Repeat this each day. Eventually, your cat should associate the food and praise with the command and then you will be on your way to owning a trained cat.
And now I wanna hear from you! To learn how to post your own solutions (or challenges) in my new group, "Pet Peeves," read more
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Pet Peeves
- Click the pink "Share" menu on the top left side of the page
- Choose "Blog" and “Regular Post”
- Give your story a Title
- Fill in the “Body” with a picture of your pet and some fun facts about him or her.
- Click “Next"
- Choose the audience for your story to “Pet Peeves” in the drop down menu
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this post was "Pet Peeves")
- Change channel to “Pets”
- Fill in tag field with relevant tags
- Click “I’m done” to submit content
So join the Pet Peeves and start sharing questions and concerns. Who knows, your problem (or solution) might make it on to the PetSugar homepage!