POPSUGAR Pets

Kitty Lovers, Just Say "No Thanks" to Easter Lilies!

Apr 10 2009 - 1:00am


I've shared doggy dangers lurking in your Easter basket [1], but I wanted to remind you about a popular holiday flower that should never be brought into a home that includes cats.

Easter lilies are one of the most poisonous flowers [2] for kitties. In fact, just one or two leaves or flowers can fatally harm a feline so, even if you think your pet will show no interest in this plant, please take no chances. This lily (along with Tiger, Asiatic, and other varieties) causes depression then vomiting, loss of appetite, and loss in body weight with the first symptoms showing up within 30 minutes . . . and acute renal failure coming at about 48 hours post-ingestion.

Please brush up on the ASPCA toxic plant list [3] (and have their poison control hotline [4] on hand) and rush any pet you fear has gotten a hold of this stem to the doctor immediately!

Source [5]


Source URL
http://www.petsugar.com/pets/Kitty-Lovers-Just-Say-Thanks-Easter-Lilies-3020941