According to the results of a recent investigation, it turns out that the largest chain of pet-selling stores in the US is also the nation's largest retail supporter of puppy mills.
An eight-month evaluation by the Humane Society of the United States uncovered that Petland stores are purchasing and selling puppies from horrific conditions despite promises that the dogs come from known breeders with only "the highest standards of pet care." Many hail from massive commercial facilities or are purchased from large scale "pet distributors" (read: puppy brokers) . . . and the company itself may not even know what the standards of care were like in the first place.
See some shocking statistics and learn what you can do when you read more.
By the numbers:
- Number of Petland stores across the country: 140
- Number of puppies linked to Petland stores: 17,000
- Number of stores visited by the HSUS: 21
- Number of breeders and brokers visited by the HSUS: 35
- Number of additional USDA inspection reports from Petland breeders evaluated by HSUS: more than 100
- Number of those with "serious violations of basic animal care regulations": 60 percent
If this shocks you too, take action and sign a petition letting the company know this is unacceptable to us pet lovers!