We're in the midst of the dog days of Summer, so tongues are lolling and your pet friends are undoubtedly feeling a little lethargic. Did you know that all you need to put some spring back in their step is an ice cube tray, a blender, and a few ingredients you already have around the kitchen? Stay away from sugar and salt, but feel free to get creative with these dog- and cat-safe recipes for chilly Summer treats.
- Liver treats: Blend chicken or beef liver with plain yogurt, then freeze in an ice cube tray.
- Banana-yogurt treats: Slice a banana, then place one slice into each cup in an ice cube tray. Pour dollops of yogurt over each banana slice, then freeze.
- Egg treats: Blend a few whole eggs (including shells) until smooth, then freeze in an ice cube tray.
For five more frozen treat recipes, just keep reading.
- Pumpkin treats: Blend some plain yogurt with canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix), then freeze in an ice cube tray.
- Cottage cheese and cheddar treats: Place a dollop of cottage cheese in each cup of an ice cube tray. Cut cheddar into small chunks, and then press one into the center of each cottage cheese dollop and freeze.
- Chicken or beef treats: Place a little leftover cooked chicken or beef in the cups of an ice cube tray. Pour unsalted chicken or beef broth over the meat and freeze.
- Tuna treats: In a bowl, mix plain yogurt with tuna (packed in water). Place a dollop of the tuna-yogurt mixture in each cup of an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Peanut butter treats: Blend up some peanut butter and plain yogurt, then freeze in an ice cube tray.
Source: Flickr user AJU_photography