Inspired by the Palm Dog, the canine version of the Palme d'Or award at Cannes each year, the BFI London Film Festival now presents The Fidos, the world's first international awards for dog stars of the big screen on October 28.
Up for grabs are awards in the following categories:
- Historical Hound – a dog in a film set in bygone days.
- Blockbuster Bowser – for achievement in an action flick.
- Comedy Canine – the smoochiest pooch in a romantic comedy.
- Cupcake Cinema – dogs in a short film.
- Best in World – the top honour, for a top dog.
Among the nominees are dogs featured in movies like Molière and Control. My favorites are the five Corgis (Anna, Poppy, Megan, Alice, and Oliver) from The Queen. Their onscreen mama, Helen Mirren, already won an Oscar for her royal role... and, personally, I found the well-behaved, scene-stealing pups in the film to be worthy of an honor as well.