As if the ominous name didn't clue you in, death caps are very dangerous. This species is responsible for the majority – 95 percent! – of fatal mushroom poisoning of people and pets. Not commonly found throughout the US, the fungi have been reported in areas as wide-reaching as upstate NY and New Jersey over to southern Oregon and the San Francisco Bay Area.
If you're taking a walk with your pooch, know how to recognize and avoid the (scientific name) Amanita phalloides. They grow year-round and thrive in moist environments commonly found on the roots of live trees. Although the above picture is one example, exact identification is unreliable because their appearance can vary . . . translation: Don't eat, or let pets eat, any wild growing mushrooms.
Learn how this affects your pets and should be treated when you read more.
Untreated ingestion of even a small portion of a death cap mushroom can be fatal because it causes liver injury and failure. If you suspect that a pet has sampled this species, bring him to the vet immediately. If treated early enough, the doctors can induce vomiting and give activated charcoal to save your pooch.