With this season's chilly temps, it's especially important to keep your pet toasty and safe. Heidi Ganahl, CEO and founder of Camp Bow Wow, shares some important tips on caring for your furball this Winter:
- Never let your dog off the leash in snow or ice. Although it may seem like a fun option to let your pup frolic in the snow, it can prove to be extremely dangerous. Dogs tend to lose their sense of smell in extremely cold weather and become lost. Believe it or not, Winter has the highest rates for lost dogs!
- Thoroughly wipe down your dog when he comes back into the house after being in the snow. It is common for dogs to ingest salts for melting ice as well as antifreeze, which can prove to be very toxic.
- Similar to how you should never leave your dog in the car during the Summer, the same goes for the Winter; a car can act almost like a freezer in the Winter, trapping heat outside and causing your pet to freeze to death.
- Fresh water is a must at all times, as your dog may be more likely to lick ice and eat snow if he/she is thirsty from lack of water. Similar to the above point, it is common for dogs to ingest snow-melting-salts and antifreeze.
Any tips to add?
Source: Flickr User nikoretro
While we usually think of giving things to shelters for the animals, the staff can use your help, too! It helps to contact your local one to learn exactly what they need, but I gathered up a list of recommendations that you may be tossing, or can easily spare, this New Year.
- Camera: If you were lucky enough to get a new camera for Christmas, a doggie shelter could use your old one! Supply the cables, too, and staff can upload photos of their available dogs to their website or Petfinder.
- Computer: Ditto goes for your computer. Many animal shelters don't have budgets to upgrade their computers so it's possible your hand-me-over is better (and newer) than what they're working with.
- Printer: Sure, they probably have one but it helps to have a backup in case one breaks.
Learn other things that most shelters need that won't break your bank and read more
There’s nothing like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when passing out gifts to the ones you love. Except maybe the incredible, thrilling rush that comes from scoring those gifts during the most invigorating shopping season of all!
This year, our friends at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are giving you more reasons than ever to celebrate your holiday shopping victories — by creating a series of fun and inspiring gifting “missions” that you can tackle weekly for a new chance to win!
Readers as well as our favorite lifestyle bloggers will be invited to participate in five missions across T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores, then simply share their experience via Twitter using the hashtag #TheGifter. Each week, one winner will be chosen to receive a $500 gift card! You can also visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub to explore an ever-evolving gallery of amazing gifts at amazing values — check back often for fresh inspiration and fun ideas.
Make this holiday shopping season your most triumphant yet! The missions are already under way, so start making your gifting list, and click here for more details.
You may know this breed, but do you recall his owner? In honor of award season, test yourself on Mr. Bigglesworth (and more!) in a furry quiz featuring movie star kitties. Each question's about a scene, character, or cat from a nonanimated flick. Can you paw out the right answers or did these felines fade into the background for you?Take the Quiz
- Miranda Kerr wins your votes as the hottest model of 2011
- 4 skin care ingredients to try
- Check out these beautiful New Year's Eve weddings
- Holiday movie guide: what to see and who to take
- The best house tours of 2011
- A maternity workout line you'll love wearing
- 10 Winter ways to work off hot chocolate
- William and Kate celebrate their first Christmas as royal newlyweds
- Bring on the bubbly with these sparkling cocktails
- Top 10 essentials to store at your desk
- 5 fitness games to help you burn off the holiday bulge
- Olivia Palermo talks New Year's Eve
|Rank||Dog Names||Cat Names|
Source: Flickr Users Yukari*, Grakus Art, and West Zest
It was all about lofty jumps, tall updos, and high drama over the weekend at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship dog show. The AKC Agility Invitational found fleet-footed canines soaring over jumps and weaving between obstacles. Meanwhile, at the main event — the Best in Show competition — proud pups pranced and posed for the judges. The prize ultimately went home with London, the regal Standard Poodle, but after taking a look at the photos, I think you'll agree that all of these pooches deserve to go home with a trophy.