It's quite rare for a hippo to be born in captivity, but this little one — born on Sep. 7 at Planète Sauvage in Port-Saint-Père, France — is a week old and going strong! Baby hippos are born under water and weigh 60 to 110 pounds at birth. This plump cutie was born to 21-year-old mom Kara, and from now on he'll spend approximately half his life in the water. Our best wishes to mama and calf!
Looking to update an heirloom table with a new stain and varnish? Need the right tools and tips to check for lead before sanding? Eager to freshen up your outdoor living space — but now sure how? Well then grab your tool kit and hang on to your inspiration board, because your next home improvement adventure starts at 3M DIY.
With fun and functional projects, expert advice, creative ideas, and a smart, safety-first approach, 3M DIY is the ultimate meeting place for do-it-yourselfers who want to get things done the right way — with the right products.
And while we don’t exactly like leaving our projects up to chance, we love having the chance to potentially win free samples from 3M every week! Prizes include sanding pads, eyewear, respirators, earplugs, and more — all the essentials you need to kick-start a project safely.
To play, simply click here to answer a simple “yes” or “no” question each week. Then, sign in with Facebook or your 3M DIY account, and you’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win. The sweepstakes is open now through Nov. 8, and thousands of samples are available to help you make your next DIY project a success.
Home isn’t just the place where you live, it’s an ever-evolving space to discover and share what makes you unique. That’s the philosophy behind modern furniture and home decor retailer west elm; it’s also what makes them such a fantastic (and inspiring!) resource.
From the dining room to the kitchen, bedroom to bath, west elm collaborates with artisans around the world to offer authentic, approachable, and affordable designs you won’t find anywhere else. Impress guests at your next dinner party with handcrafted stoneware featuring its own distinct pattern. Make the most of every inch with a stylish storage bed frame. Get a little greener in the bathroom with organic cotton towels and eco-conscious catch-alls.
For folks in the Vancouver area, the pages of the west elm catalog are about to come to life, thanks to a new store opening on South Granville Street on September 13. Click here to get your 15% off coupon.
I, for one, am a huge fan of Japanese retailer Uniqlo and its super-chic, reasonably priced denim and basics but have lamented the fact that I can get my hands on them in person only on my infrequent trips to New York (or out of the country). Apparently, my shopping god made nice with the Internet angels, because the brand is opening its West Coast flagship store here in my hometown of San Francisco on Oct. 5, and it's signed on YouTube star Maru as the spokesperson . . . and game-show host.
I'm already making room in my closet for a new Fall coat and a few pairs of skinny jeans, but frankly, I would shop at any store that allowed this cuddly celeb to pick out my prize.
- Vintage fashion ads with sex appeal
- How to peel tomatoes, in pictures
- Victoria Beckham celebrates another successful show with Harper
- The chignon-ponytail hybrid you'll wear again and again
- Super-chic lightweight Fall maternity jackets
- Bold prints, bright hues, and quirky specs rule at J.Crew's peppy (preppy) Spring
- Must-have items for a stylish, comfortable guest bedroom
- Video: Blake Lively talks kids — plus, costars react to her surprise wedding!
- Our TIFF review of Silver Linings Playbook with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper
- Where to buy discount designer clothes online
- Hit the hiking trail outfitted like a pro
- CelebStyle: Celebrities in sheer peplum dresses — shop the look for nighttime
- Transform iPhone snaps into true-blue Polaroids
- Costume change: animals whose colors adapt with the season
- Prepare your wardrobe for the rainy Fall days ahead
It’s time to get real. Most of us aren’t lucky enough to have retained the hair color we were born with. But that doesn’t mean we can’t (convincingly) fake it! With 30 shades to choose from, including the Salon Blends Collection, customized shades previously only available at the salon, the experts at John Frieda® Precision Foam Colour are here to save the day. Complete their Shade Selector to find the ideal shade of no-drip, rich foam hair color to cover up your grays and achieve salon-quality color at home! Between us gals, John Frieda® Precision Foam Colour will be our little secret — our secret to achieving and maintaining comparable hair to the strands we were born with!
He entertained us with a paw-some salutation for James Bond during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics, and this weekend Great Britain's royal palace released the sad news that Monty, one of Queen Elizabeth II's beloved Pembroke Welsh Corgis, has passed away.
A celebrated animal lover, the queen has been flanked by this smiley-faced breed since 1944, when she received a puppy named Susan for her 18th birthday. Since then, Susan's progeny of Corgis and Dorgis (Dachshund/Corgi mixes) have accompanied their regal matriarch around the royal family's many homes and even on the queen's honeymoon! Today, Monty is survived by the queen's two Corgis, Willow and Holly, and two Dorgis, Candy and Vulcan. To memorialize this favorite royal pet, we're taking a look back at the queen and her dogs throughout the years. Rest in peace, little one!
Source: International Olympic Committee
Now here's a subject you never thought you'd hear about in conjunction with New York Fashion Week: cat litter. Let's face it: it's not the most stylish of subjects. And neither is cleaning out the litter box, though it's a necessary responsibility of being a pet parent. The good news is that — in addition to eco-fabulous cat litter options — there are a wealth of fashionable and functional litter box choices that go beyond the old pan-and-gravel standbys. So just in time for the kickoff of NYFW festivities, we thought we'd highlight our picks of the . . . er, litter.
- Films to look forward to this Fall
- How to make easy Champagne risotto
- Katy Perry and John Mayer do date night despite breakup rumors
- Fall for all the new nail colors of September
- Hot Dem! Good-looking liberals we love to love
- See Drew Barrymore's lovely, laid-back maternity style
- Ways to wear Fall's totally chic (and comfy) loose trousers
- Get the Treaty Room's classically cozy appeal
- Video: Kirsten, Isla, and Lizzy on good friends — plus, new On the Road info!
- Ways to save on gear for a new baby
- Try these MPG capris: tailor-made for the dancer in you
- CelebStyle: Hollywood's affair with Céline's luggage tote continues
- When high fashion meets tech
- A maxi skirt fit for the season
Quick! That quintet of quail crossing the quay: what's it called? If you said "flock," you've got some learning to do! Today, we're taking you back to school to fish for answers in our quiz about obscure names for groups of animals. So while we could talk in terms of bands and herds, we're not letting you off so easy. From muster to murder, get started now!Take the Quiz